[LispM-Hackers] Am going to check in stuff that might break non-Linux platforms

John Morrison jm@mak.mak.com
Fri Apr 5 13:00:02 2002

Hi;

I am trying to tease apart e3 sources into really portable and
not-so-portable bits.  This mostly deals with:

(1) include file names.  In order to integrate the bare iron port
(which has neither {io|f}stream stuff nor the need for it) with the
existing e3 sources, I am trying to reduce the number of system
include files needed.  I have done so.  I have tested it under Linux,
but do not have access to FreeBSD, so I fervently hope I don't break
something.  Please let me know if I did.

(2) Stream stuff: I am probably going to add one level of indirection
to how we load the band.  Right now, it is loaded off a stream.  For
the bare iron port, it has already been loaded in memory for us by
Etherboot, and I just want to move it about (no stream stuff).  Not
sure how to handle this right now.  Need to think.  Suggestions
solicited.

Oh, yeah.  I think I have also done some violence to the trace
facility in that it will now print in hex rather than octal, which is
the only radix the bare iron port currently knows how to do.  I
changed the "printfs" to stream stuff because the bare iron stuff
doesn't do the nice formatting you wish.  I will try to make a global
change to octal or add radix capability to the ersatz stream/kprintf
stuff before I check all this stuff back in.

I will also probably be breaking the i386 build target (nobody else
other than me cares, right?) when I check this stuff in.  So, if you
want to debug your Etherboot setup, do it now and don't do a cvs
update until I fix this (hope to have it done this weekend).

-jm

--
==== John Morrison
==== MAK Technologies Inc.