[LispM-Hackers] Target platforms for porting

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:07:22 -0500

Hi;

(1) I am interested to know what fellow lispm-hackers are using.  These,
by definition, should be Supported Platforms.

(2) In a world with finite resources (consisting our "spare" time,
basically), we should prioritize.  In the absence of the answer to
question (1) above, I would submit a very short list:

- x86 Linux
- Windoze (in its various flavors, even though I hate M$ to the point of
irrationality)
- bare iron
- vanilla X/UNIX

I prefer to do most of my work on my convenient-at-home x86 linux.  In
the absence of any other volunteer, I feel strongly enough about getting
this to run under Windoze that I would personally do the "port"
(basically a periodic recompile to find out whether I broke anything --
I have a Windoze box right next to my Linux box at home).  I have also
been trying to be a Good Boy and rebuild and test upon kappa proper to
see if I broke any big/little endian stuff -- however, that's going to
be problematic once we get a GUI going (it's going to be too painful to
do that remotely), so I'd be really happy if somebody else pitched in
there.  However, I *really* am looking forward to getting e3 to run on
bare iron (I have an old P5 166MHz 32MB box that I was using to develop
JOS, which would disklessly etherboot the JOS kernel/JVM on bare iron).

> Can anyone think of other platforms and which category to file them
> under?  Any other comments?

(3) I think e3 would mesh wonderfully with resource-challenged hardware
(e.g., the Compaq iPaq (or however they're capitalizing it these days),
the Palm Pilot, etc.).  However, It

-jm

--
==== John Morrison