[LispM-Hackers] Mailing lists

James A. Crippen james@UnLambda.COM
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 02:08:44 -0900 (AKST)

I have the CVS log list working.  I'm not so sure about the postability of
the general discussion list, but I suggest people try it too.

For the CVS list please see

and subscribe there.  When you receive the confirmation message please
note that I've made some changes to DNS that may not have propagated to
your site yet.  Look carefully at the address to which you reply -- it
should be ...@_lists_.unlambda.com not mail.unlambda.com.  The latter host
name will bounce.  If you do get a bounce please make sure you've sent to
lists.unlambda.com first, and if you're certain of that then mail me the
bounce (include the headers from the bounce message as well as the headers
from the sent message) for forensic analysis.

For subscription to the general discussion list go to

and subscribe there.  The same confirmation message rules apply to this
list as well, at least until all the caches on Earth are freshened, which
should be about two or three days, I think.

Please do not post messages to the CVS mailing list.  This list is
strictly for CVS logs.  If your mailer correctly handles the Reply-To
header then you should be able to reply to any CVS list message and it
will automagically be sent to the discussion list, lispm-hackers.

Again, if you encounter any errors please don't hesitate to let me know.
I've tested these lists from multiple systems and they seem to work as
long as the DNS caches on these machines aren't stale.

I have a particular file called 'foo' in the e3 CVS repo that I've been
updating with cruft to trigger log messages.  I'll do this a few more
times tomorrow when I see that people have subscribed to the list.  This
should be a good delivery test.

Also note that messages to the CVS list will come from *local* accounts on
kappa.  There's no easy way to change this, AFAIK.  Let me know if you
discover something.  I belive it has to do with how the CVSROOT
environment variable is set with pserver.

Mailman has integrated archives, although they're not searchable (yet).
You can get to them from the listinfo page for any mailing list.  The
archives should be the first link on a listinfo page.  Archives are
changed monthly.  I'll look into making a tarball available for download
if anyone asks politely.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,