[LispM-Hackers] List archive access policy

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
31 Dec 2001 13:59:10 -0900

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:

> The LispM-Hackers mailing list archive is accessible only to subscribers. I
> don't mind this. But since it's an unusual practice, I was wondering about
> the rationale for such a policy, e.g. whether there are any bandwidth
> issues.

The purpose is mostly to reduce spam.  Spam harvesters know how to
traverse Mailman's list archive web pages.

Another reason is that we're discussing things that I don't wish TI to
pay attention to.  JM and I (and others) discussed the idea of
bringing our project to TI and receiving its blessing so that we could
distribute the sources to the Explorer system.  But we decided that we
didn't want to bring this to the attention of the TI lawyers until we
had something that actually had a semblance of booting and running,
which would give us a longer lever to use against them.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W