[LispM-Hackers] E3 hardware and software system requirements

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:07:46 -0500

Hi;

Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> It would be useful to list on the E3 project site some information on the
> current hardware and software requirements, especially regarding
> compilers--gcc and/or egcs?--and required libraries, for trying the
> emulator, i.e. for running it until it dies at the right place.

Good idea.  Even complaints of the form "e3 doesn't build on ..." would
help us both fix the portability issues and learn what platforms are
interesting to people (and maybe pick up some recruits).

> By checking the list archive I get the impression that any reasonably
> standard Unix system will do, and that nothing has been decided about

I think we've only checked on x86 Linux and either Linux or Solaris
(james?) for Sparc.  I also built it using Cygwin for Win2K, but that
was before I realized that meant we'd be forced to GPL the code (which
might be a reasonable thing to do but I hate being pressured).

> graphics yet. Is this correct?

Yup.  At work, we use Qt as a portable GUI system (even if we really
don't need very much help).  Even if we did use something like that I
want to build e3 to run on bare x86 iron, so some HAL is probably
necessary.

-jm