[LispM-Hackers] Re: TI LispM Emulator Project

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
18 Dec 2001 21:37:00 -0900

Dan Moniz <dnm@pobox.com> writes:

> On 12/18/01 3:49 PM, "James A. Crippen" <james@unlambda.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, John Morrison gave me your address.  Would you like to be included
> > in the E3 project?  I assume you've already seen the meagre web page
> > on it.  Being involved entails an account on kappa.unlambda.com, where
> > the CVS repository and associated files are stored.  You also can join
> > the mailing list whose web page is at:
> > .  If you would like an account on kappa please let me know and I'll
> > set it up and the associated CVS account as well.
>
> All of that would be great! I've already joined the mailing list, actually,
> but the account on kappa and CVS would be much appreciated.
>
> As I told John, I'm not sure what I can do off the bat, as I'm not familiar
> with TI's LispM at all (having only worked on Symbolics gear), but I'm very
> much interested in learning more and lending a hand wherever I can.

You'll find that in many ways the Symbolics world and the Explorer
world are similar, having both come from the same roots (MIT's CADR).
The Explorer is arguably closer to the CADR in design, programming,
and operation than Symbolics's later offerings (ie, after the LM-1).

An important difference between Symbolics and Explorer systems is that
the Explorer is microcoded very differently from Symbolics machines,
mostly because the Explorer retains the 16-bit macroinstruction
opcodes that Symbolics diverged from when they developed the Ivory
architecture.  The Explorer macrocode architecture is also 32-bit and
not 36 or 40-bit.

There's lots more that you can get from the manuals on kappa.  Look in
kappa:/home/lispm for more details.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W