[LispM-Hackers] Error handling

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 10:53:14 -0400

Hi;

On Sunday 08 April 2001 05:14, James A. Crippen wrote:
> I'm working out on paper a good method for handling errors after realizing
> that my first attempt isn't going to be very scalable and isn't really in
> the OO spirit.

It will certainly be less trouble to implement upon bare iron than...

> Instantiated objects are exceptions to be thrown.  Exceptions are passed
> upwards until they are caught, perhaps at the top level.

If we use C++ exception-handling, then things will get really, really, really
hard to port to bare iron.  I *very* briefly looked into using exceptions on
bare iron for the JOS project, but it seemed to require either a lot of
house-keeping and/or sucking in a whole bunch of LGPL'ed code and tweaking it
(hey, we're not running on a POSIX platform any longer) which would've
tripped the hard GPL.  So, I punted.

Even setjmp/longjmp would be easier.

I know nobody but me seems to care about a bare iron port, and I am willing
to forego such a port for the nonce, but this is going to create work for me
(or whoever tries a similar thing).

-jm

--
==== John Morrison